Poker is an age-old game of cards played across the world, it is based on strategy, skills, and gambling. There are various types of poker games, Texas Hold’em, 5-card stud, 7-card stud, to name a few. In the last decade or so, online poker has proven to be a legitimate game, with millions of players from around the world.
How to play?
Texas Hold’em is known as the ‘King of Poker’, regarded as the most popular poker game. Mentioned below is the procedure to play the poker.
- The game is divided into a series of hands.
- Before a hand is started, 2 players have to place a blind bet, the 2 players placing a blind bet, will change with every hand.
- After the blind bets are placed, 2 cards, one at a time are distributed to each player.
- Then the players have to decide whether to stay in the hand by betting the same or more amount than the bigger blind or fold and leave the hand.
- There are rounds of betting taking place, where players have 3 option either check i.e. allowing other players to act before them, or bet or fold.
- At the start of every round, community cards are introduced, known as ‘flop’ (3 cards), ‘turn’ (1 card), ‘river’ (1 card).
- Every round follows the same process, if every player checked, then a new community card is introduced.
- If one player placed a bet then at least one or more player has to place equal or higher bet than him/her or the player with the only bet wins that hand.
- After the last community round, if 2 or more players still stay, then the final round of showdown starts, where the player with the best 5 cards combination wins the hand.
- A player with most hand wins the game.
The rise of Online Poker
Online poker started way back in late 90’s in America, and now online poker game is a billion-dollar international business. International poker communities are as big as it can get. They have their ranking system, known as GPI (Global Poker Index). World Poker Series, the biggest poker tournament is held every year.
Looking at the growing popularity of online poker in India, many start-ups were set-up across the country, and in no time these companies gained popularity. Online poker tournaments are held by these websites where prize pool is worth more than 10 million Indian rupees. Online Indian poker industry is viewed as successful, with a market value of 290 million USD. In Indonesia the one of best poker site is potato777.
There are still questions about the legality of online poker in India, with few states have ruled it as illegal and number of states has termed it as legal, but with strict guidelines and rules for the players and companies.
Over the years many professional poker players of the world have proven that poker is a skill and strategy-based game and hence there should be no questions about its legality, but the debate is still going on.